Barton, your editorial has a couple glib sentences that I for one don't agree with.  First off that the "best thing the city ever did" was to renovate city hall?  And "what were folks thinking with that Urban Renewal crap back in the day?"  And renovate city hall toward what end?? It really wasn't to further the interests of the city as an historic place now was it?? Well no it wasn't.
  Oh come on, Barton.   They were thinking the same things back in the day that this crowd thinks in this day---"we'll take whatever we can get however we can get it and use it."  Simple as that.  There wasn't overwhelming thinking with regard to the renovation of City Hall either.  It was "here we have the money let's do it."   And you wound up with city offices that were done in some fashion with modern offices placed into an old structure, a mismatch aesthetically, and perennial issues with heating and cooling and other repair work.  Urban Renewal provided the forerunner of modern Rondout in Kingston.  So it didn't do exactly nothing, although it might have taken about 40 years to do it in that example....
  The wonder is that if folks wanted to do this(city hall) for so long why didn't they come up with the wherewithal to get it done between when was it, 1969 and 2000?  The answer to that is rather simple too.   That building was seen initially as too old to put modern offices in.  So what was done as a result? They moved city offices downtown.  Then what happened? "We got grant money to restore the old city hall under Gallo"--but they could have restored the old city hall into a museum long before that by getting it declared an historic building.  Instead the whole plan all along was to restore that building for city offices because that was seen as the most feasible.   All the concern was over politics and city government--not any long-term idea of how to make the city better.  And that building would most certainly have been better off, given the years of neglect and all, made into an historic museum.  Instead we have what we have--ornate ceiling in the council chambers and all--and with the people who meet there little better than those who ran Tammany Hall, overshadowed by the ornateness of the ceiling(which should only, mostly, crash down on their pathetic little heads at least every now and then such as during budget discussions).  Modern offices fit that building like bull tits on me--or at least Sottile would prefer an expression of this sort because his intellect can't cope with any other, uh,  "more advanced expressions"       LOL
 Having said that one can see where the compassion of the James Administration leads--developmentally disabled, yes, an employee in the city clerk's office, but one thinks that's the extent of it--blacks, no, other people with other challenges, no, lowly laborers get laid off, etc---just a bunch of sanctimonious crap from his big fat mouth, and the vision of him standing in the city clerk's office staring at me one day, with what we now see was in his MIND with that nonverbal behavior now on these boards, with the stupidest grin on his face I have probably EVER seen on anyone in my entire life.   [LITTLE DID I KNOW T THE TIME--WHICH OF COURSE HE HAS EXPRESSED SO WELL ON THESE BOARDS-- THAT WHAT HIZZONER WAS DOING WAS 'JUDGING THE QUICK AND THE DEAD' THERE--IN HIS SELF-APPOINTED MESSIAH ROLE--AND TO THINK, I LOOK NOTHING LIKE PHIL COSME, WHO MAY AT ONE TIME BE SEEN AS "BOTH QUICK AND DEAD"!!]
    Sottile and his Sottilian ethics and other notions of brilliance, housed in his own housing which includes his big fat arse, insists upon running his own little kingdom of periodic decrees from that building, while the notion of educational excellence wholly congruent with the library on Franklin St. remains, better attached to the initial building it was housed in next to Kingston High School, to be replaced there by city offices.  At least the stress of Kingston hospital could be alleviated by employees and dischargees better equipped to cope with same for a time, pondering the history of the area in the building next door.  Then again, ever since the days of the City Lab when that building was still up and functional, that particular "triad" has been a nightmare of "best use of space".    And we really can forgive the mentally deficient Mayor who declared, at the height of the sexual harrassment scandal in DPW, that "we'll find the culprit by performing a DNA test (on the feces) because no one was available with any technical expertise as would have been the case in the old days from the lab next door to explain to him that the notion was biologic rubbish...and instead of getting rid of anyone, instead he got rid of Jeanne Edwards--which, in our better understanding now of this whole business, was also a way to say he was "Dismissing Me"(interesting how he puts that--well that's the extent of his mind folks)--for complaining about a garbage issue at my church.   
  Mayor Nutcase would have done better to "dismiss me" sooner, so all of us would have at least known sooner the nature of the MESS that is in this man's HEAD. 
 Along those lines, perhaps we need prayer vigils for the best use of space between the ears of his eminence Hizzoner.  Forget Presidential prayer teams---this is a task for the best prayer warriors that were ever seen --and an Exorcist or two, well, "wouldn't hurt...."
[I TRULY HOPE I HAVE ANNOYED YOU ONCE AGAIN FAT-ASS JAMES BECAUSE I KNOW YOU READ THESE THINGS INCESSANTLY AND THEN COMPLAIN ONLY FIVE PEOPLE READ THEM, SO MUCH SO YOU CONTINUE TO RAIL ABOUT "CURES FOR THE WORLD" OH AND I WOULDN'T TRY AGAIN TO CONDESCEND WITH YOUR ASSHOLERY IN TERMS OF "WHY SO BITTER" AND ALL THAT---IT IS YOUR OWN BIG FAT ARSE THAT IS THE BITTER ONE AND A BITTER PILL FOR MANY IN THIS AREA, WHICH YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND AND CERTAINLY DON'T PREFER TO UNDERSTAND--YOU'RE THE LAST TO LEARN ABOUT YOURSELF IT SEEMS EBENEZER JAMES OH WELL IN YOUR BUSINESS YOU CAN LEARN A GREAT DEAL OVER TIME SO EVEN THOUGH YOU APPEAR TO BE LEARNING DISABLED YOU MIGHT LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT YOURSELF IN CASE YOUR BRAIN ISN'T TOO IMPAIRED BY NOW YOU BIG FAT OAFISH LOAFISH BUM THAT CALLS THE KETTLE BLACK  ]  THANK YOU AGAIN JAMES         DIS-MISSSSSSSED.
(Well stay tuned dear readers, we are sure to have a responding salvo from HIZZONER, whose big fat ego that tags along so nicely with his big fat arse--- just can't take it....so stay tuned and let's analyze this for the news.....heh)